Allusion in a Song

Allusion is a brief and indirect reference to a person, place, things, or idea of historical, mythology, cultural, literary or religion. The allusion made a cononection between two context that make the intention conveyed indirectly. Usually it's indirectly mentioning the name of what it's referred to. Allusion used to make an imaginary context to create the reference for themselves.

There are 4 types of allusion :
1. Mythology
2. Pop culture
3. Literature
4. Religion

Allusion often used in a song fot some reasons, like to make great emotional ties to their song idea, or to explain something indirectly with mentioning something that refer to the song's meaning.

Several example of popular song that used allusion is :

1. Viva La Vida - Coldplay

"Viva La Vida" Song's Cover

        Viva La Vida

...
For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I rule the world
...

This song is inspired by a painting from Mexican painter, Frihda Kahlo. This song is about a king who lost his kingdom. Some people link this song to French Revolution.

Chris Martin explain the meaning behind the lyrics of "I know Saint Peter won't call my name" : 
"I know Saint Peter won’t call my name” Chris Martin replied: “It’s about… You’re not on the list. I was a naughty boy. It’s always fascinated me that idea of finishing your life and then being analyzed on it. And this idea runs throughout most religions. That’s why people blow up buildings. Because they think they’re going to get lots of virgins. I always feel like saying, just join a band. That is the most frightening thing you could possibly say to somebody. Eternal damnation. I know about this stuff because I studied it. I was into it all. I know it. It’s still mildly terrifying to me. And this is serious."

The lyrics is using religion allusion. Saint Peter in Christianity was the main apostle, the first pope of Catholicism, then glorified as a saint (saint).  The figure of the ruler felt his name was not on the list of people who entered heaven. The king realized the crime and his mistakes that he have done when he still ruling the kingdom.

2. Grenade - Bruno Mars

Grenade

...
Black, black, black and blue
Beat me 'til I'm numb
Tell the devil I said 'hey' when you get back to where you're from
Mad woman, bad woman
That's just what you are
Yeah you'll smile in my face then rip the brakes out my car
...

This song is about a struggle from a man to tell his girl that he will do anything for her, but his love and his struggle not paid off. This song using hyperbole, where the man will catch a grenade, jump from a train, and pulling a big piano to the girl.

The devil used in this song describes that the woman did not return his love and instead threw away his love, so she is linked to devil.

Source :

Comments

Popular Posts